Tuesday, July 26, 2011

VIDEO - Roc Trip Mexico

My primary purpose for attending Petzl's RocTrip in Mexico last fall was to shoot the video.  Petzl RocTrips have always had a strong video component that accompanies them.  It is a way to take an event that originally only reaches some people in a very specific geographic area and expand that reach to anyone on the internet.

I was psyched to have the opportunity to shoot and direct this piece.  I was able to enlist the help of one of my best friends and one of the strongest photo/video guys I know, Garrett Smith, as Director of Photography for the project.  We also had camera help from two guys from the Petzl France team that were more accustomed to the RocTrip and Petzl video scene.

As we planned for the event, we developed a video concept that involved more story-telling than RocTrip videos had previously highlighted.  The idea was to parallel the Mexican climbing scene with the rich culture and history of Mexico.  We felt like this would reach a larger audience than your standard climbing video.

I was set to really dive into editing the video after OR in January.  This just happened to be the same time I had decided to make the move from Petzl over to Gregory.  This has been a great move for me, but I was a little bummed to have to hand off this edit to someone else.  Thankfully, the project was taken over by two people who are very capable in the outdoor video scene - Mike Call and Guillaume Broust.  They took the loads of footage that we had shot down there and made a strong video.

It is not exactly the story Garrett and I had in mind while shooting, but it turned out rad nonetheless.  It is cool to see all the work we put into it taken over by some strong editors.  The final piece is below, and I am proud to have been a part of it.



You can find my full write-up of RocTrip Mexico here:
http://dustinbutcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/petzl-roc-trip-mexico.html

No comments: